The New Bedford Whaling Museum's Moby-Dick Marathon is an annual non-stop reading of Herman Melville's literary masterpiece. The multi-day program of entertaining activities and events is presented every January. Admission to the Marathon is free.

Saturday, February 5, 2011

How Much Is That in Real Money?

One of my favorite Internet resources is How Much Is That in Real Money?  The site provides links to a variety of calculators for determining purchasing power over time. 

My old Signet Classics paperback Moby-Dick, for example, cost $1.25 back when I bought it in, I think, 1977.  In current dollars, that would be about $4.42 (which as it happens is nearly the current price of the Signet Classics Moby-Dick). 

Technical aside: The HMITIRM calculators are now actually maintained at a site called Measuring Worth, but I find it much easier to remember "How much is that in real money?" when I need to go there.

1 comment:

  1. I can see Measuring Worth web site bears some serious browsing!

    ReplyDelete